In drug stores, department stores and specialty stores across the world, thousands of varieties of makeup and beauty aids line shelves. How do you choose? Here are several products backed up by strong social values and a mission to help those in need. Do your part simply by supporting these cosmetic companies that help keep the world, and its people, beautiful.
1. Operating under the mantra “beauty with conscious,” South Africa-based skin care company Africology donates 5 percent of all e-sales toward purchasing and installing household water tanks in areas that need clean drinking water. The company also sponsors higher education for children and runs a program in which glass packaging from Africology products is recycled to create unique beads and jewelry. www.africology-sa.com
3. In line with its long tradition of social consciousness, Kiss My Face created Peace Soap, a cleanser that can be used on anything from skin to hair to clothes. Ten percent of sales of this product go toward supporting Seeds of Peace, an organization that works to develop relationships and leadership skills among young people living in regions of conflict. www.kissmyface.com
4. A percentage of proceeds from the sale of Shaveworks The Cool Fix, a unisex shaving product from Anthony Logistics for Men, is donated to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. www.anthony.com
5. The Kinky-Curly hair care line donates a portion of all profits to Charity:Water to help build wells in developing countries. This support enables women to focus on education and family care rather than walking miles each day in search of clean water. www.kinky-curly.com
6. A staunch supporter of breast cancer research, Ouidad started “Curls For A Cure”, a program that matches all dollar donations for The Breast Cancer Research Foundation made through the hair care company’s website. www.ouidad.com
7. This October, luxury cosmetics brand Sisley brings back its limited edition ACS All Day All Year box wrappers to bring awareness to the American Cancer Society’s “Choose You” movement, encouraging women to make healthy lifestyle choices to help prevent cancer. http://www.sisley-cosmetics.com/gb-en/
8. La Ishá Natural Skin Care, the all-natural skin care company dedicated to the anti-aging needs of women over age 35, donates a portion of its profits to several charitable organizations dedicated to women’s causes, including Women to Women International and the Breast Cancer Fund. www.La-Isha.com
9. From Nov. 1, 2011 – Jan. 1, 2012, 29 Cosmetics will donate five percent of sales from all eye products to the Georgia Eye Bank, which performs sight-saving surgeries for people in need. The company, based in Napa, Calif., also uses its resources to support Khmer Krafts, Drop Dead Gorgeous and the Napa Valley’s Women’s Shelter. www.29cosmetics.com
Which product would you use?